Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Bosnia!

Back from Bosnia!

It was a great trip. Let me share a bit of what it was like...

Coffee, coffee, coffee! It's an integral part of the culture to say the least, and boy is it good!
This is our team at a Persian style cafe.

This is the fountain in the old city. It's said that if you drink from it you'll be sure to come back. I wouldn't mind that happening... :)

The old city, Sarajevo. It's an interesting mixture of Muslims, Orthodox and Roman Catholicism. There are Evangelical churches, however the pastors have been Christians for under 1o years!

Lots of open markets with fresh produce!

We got an incredible history lesson while in Bosnia and one of the best parts was visiting this tunnel. During the war, the Bosnians created this underground tunnel to transport supplies into the city, which was completely surrounded and assaulted by Serbian forces. Though the war has ended, anger and bitterness between the two people groups remains. In fact, it is said:

"There is no peace in Bosnia, only a lack of violence."

I was deeply moved from hearing about the tragedy of the war and the terrible things people experienced-- people that are my age and are now trying to live a normal life. There is such a huge need for reconciliation, healing and rehabilitation for the people. There is certainly a broken spirit about the country.

I'm so thankful for the opportunity to experience this part of the world. It was a great trip and I hope to one day go back! But even if I don't, I'll keep Bosnia in my heart and in my prayers.

No comments: