Sunday, May 3, 2009

A Bosnian Adventure

Greetings from Bosnia!

What a journey to get here: 14 hour bus ride through the night, made complete by Bosnian chatter and laughter the whole way through. :) Surprisingly, after spending the past 3 months in a "colder culture" I found the warmth of the Bosnians refreshing, even if it did hinder my sleep. :)
My weary teammates :)

My stupendous teammate, friend and seat-buddy: Lindy.

So 14 hours and 1 1/2 hours of sleep later, my team and I find myself in the very interesting country of Bosnia! Rich in lush mountains, produce stands and concrete, Bosnia has a unique beauty that is visibly scarred by the turmoil of war and the after-effects of communism.

It's been incredible to stay with the OM team here and hear and see what life is like for the people of Bosnia. This is the Brazilian Claudia, the leader of the OM team there. Lindy and I get to stay with her and it's so great!

It's been a really rich experience so far, made complete with a Bosnian BBQ. They sure do love meat here! The morning we arrived (with an empty sleep tank :) was May 1st, a national holiday, so we headed off to join the OM team and a Bosnian church for an evangelistic outreach at a local park. Jeff and Jake some how got assigned to be the BBQers at the BBQ! They d id a great job, but found out that Bosn ians BBQ quite a bit differently here: instead of neatly putting the meat on the grill, they dump boxes full of chicken and sausage on the grill and slather it with grease. I could feel that meal the rest of the day, but boy was it good!


More stories and pictures to come! Tod ay we're headed to downtown Sarajevo to explore then to church tonight. I really like this place.


No comments: