Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Water Aeorobics, Kristallnacht... and much more :)

I have recently undertaken the glorious endeavor of... swimming! We have an awesome "Wellnessoasis" right up the street from our apartment so I've started to swim laps and such for exercise.

In case you were wondering, scenes like this:


also occur in Austria! :)

I beheld such a sight as I swam laps nearby, and as I was treading water the lady teaching the class invited me to join them (all in German) next time: "Die erste mal ist gratis!" (the first time is free :). She soon realized that I wasn't a native speaker and then got really excited about me teaching her English and her teaching me German! And so, this Thursday I'm going to go have coffee with her! Her name is Christine and she also lives in Stockerau.

Haha, so there is a somewhat comical example of how God is continuing to be faithful and connect me with people here! Since returning from a lot of travel, things have been somewhat slow in jumping back in here, but God is definitely leading. Today I spent most of the day at Mercy House of Prayer, participating in the prayer watch then helping Vicki (the leader of MHOP) with some cleaning. We've been praying a lot for the Jewish people, especially as the Feast of Booths is going on right now! Today Vicki also took Emily, Jadah and I (we will all be working part time with MHOP) to see the Jewish district of town, and the synagogues that were destroyed during Kristallnacht. It's sobering to think of what happened just about 70 years ago, and then to see that there are so many policemen and cameras in that area to protect the Jews. Antisemitism is still a very real thing, and many Jews still live in Vienna.

I would appreciate your prayers as I seek to build relationships here and also start getting involved in the youth group at the Stockerau Gemeinde (church). I will be meeting with the leaders of my church on Monday, so please pray that God leads me into the good works He has prepared in advance for me to do!

*Grace and Peace

1 comment:

Unknown said...

aaaaaah.... i love how God works! and i love love love that he used SWIMMING (one of my fave past times, as you know) as a tool to help you form a connection and a new friend :)
praying for you constantly.
Áldás Békesség,
Kristi