Saturday, January 9, 2010

The servant of Abraham

I thoroughly enjoyed the story of Isaac and Rebekah (Gen 24) this morning. What a great romance, what divine provision, what consolation in great sorrow!

I learned several things from this story, but what impacted me the most today was about Abraham's servant who went to carry out the mission of finding Isaac a wife from the land of Abraham's relatives.

I love his eagerness to do good, his desire to please the Lord and his master, and his respect for God and his ways. I like how he asked God for specific things in order that he would know which woman was the right one. Then, "Before I had finished speaking in my heart, behold Rebekah came out...", doing exactly what the servant had asked of the Lord (Gen 24:45)! Here is part on an interesting commentary on this chapter by Matthew Henry:

"Those that would have good speed must pray for it.

This day, this affair.

We must, in all our ways, acknowledge God (Prov. 3:6). And, if we thus look up to God in every undertaking which we care about, we shall have the comfort of having done our duty,
whatever the issue may be.
It is our wisdom to follow providence and our folly to force it."

Today I enjoyed acknowledging God in all (maybe not all but more than usual! :) my ways...

...asking for people to talk to at the local pool as I worked out, since I hadn't connected with anyone there in a long time.
Two people initiated conversation with me!

...asking for connections with my teammates because I felt lonely.
I had dinner and a 2 hour conversation with Lindy then the
dudes on our team came to hang out. :)

Just little things, and sometimes God doesn't answer right away, and some prayers receive a no, but I'm learning that in SO MUCH God says, YES, and even better than that, the journey of

asking
seeking
knocking

is far more lively, enriching and fulfilling than the life of not

expecting
engaging
participating.

I'm thankful for the companionship of Christ. :)


1 comment:

Lindy said...

YES! Love it! I sure am thankful for your wisdom and insight and when you share how God speaks to you! I've learned so much from you little lady. I look forward to many more long conversations and hopefully more while in the sauna :) LOVE YOU!