Saturday, February 7, 2009

The Phenomenon of the Wiener Cafe

Question: what is something intriguing about Vienna that shows up often in varied ways and is something I could document during my time here?

Answer: Cafe's!

Austria is known for its coffee, it's relational and laid back culture (people take coffee break seriously here- at 10:30 on the dot everyone drops their work for a 15 min-30 min enjoyable coffee break; often the same happens in the afternoon) and its sumptuous delicate deserts. As I encounter these wonderful places during my time here in Austria, I thought I would share them with you!

May I introduce you to

What a lovely place! It's located in the Innerstradt (inner city) of Vienna by the Stephansdom (one of the tallest cathedrals in the world that is oh, so beautiful!) and has been around since 1911! It has an elegant yet casual feel with a 50's flavor. I found a short review on it that, from my firsthand experience there tonight, described it more than adequately well:

"Solemn-looking waiters sport classic bow-tie garb at this expansive cafe on the Ring. Still, in spite of a few old school traits, Pruckel is not one of the stiffest stars in the Viennese firmament. The much-loved cafe attracts a vaguely arty clientele who look like they're pondering some conceptual conundrum."


I got the "Special Pruckel Eiskaffe" which was fabulous! It was espresso, vanilla ice cream, whipped cream with a waifer cookie on top. I was very pleased. :) Even the "frou frou" coffee here isn't as sweet as in the US (they also don't have artificial sweeteners here) but it has a rich flavor that I really appreciate.

I highly reccommend this cute cafe and look forward to returning (hopefully with some new friends from language school that starts on Monday!). Check out Cafe Pruckel's website here.

I hope you're enjoying your coffe today as well. :)

:::thus ends review number ONE of the Phenomenon of the Wiener:::

...until next time :)

*love

No comments: