Thursday, February 26, 2009

Life in Deutsch

Guten Abend! (Good Evening!)

I've been wrestling through German this week, learning the past tense, different forms of verbs and about the whole concept of time. I really enjoy my class and my awesome teacher, Frau Doller (pictured in middle).


She is a native Austrian, is 24 and really cares about us a lot! I really appreciate how she enunciates and repeats things and most of the class is interactive. She speaks only in German but is very careful to make sure we all understand. Most of the class is interactive: when we learn a new concept, she'll ask us questions using the concept and we respond. It's great! Please pray for me as I continue to study and understand. Language is so critical and I really want to communicate effectively to the people here! Also pray for the different students I meet- On Monday I'm going out to coffe with a girl from the Czech Republic and our team is having a student from Britian over to our house for dinner on Wednesday. Pray for God's grace and love as I make new friends and that I will be a loving and truthful witness of Jesus Christ.

This is my class (3 Americans, 3 Turks, 1 from Thailand, 1 from Romania (not pictured)! We dressed up for "Fashing"- the big "party day" before Lent begins. It's a really big deal here- there's parades all over a nd all the people who work in retail dress up in costumes. We just had a little fun in our class, but unfortunately for the rest of the country, this is a day where everything goes- basically where you binge on everything wrong and then repent on Ash Wednesday and then go into 40 days of fasting different things. Please pray for the Austrians at this time, as religion is more of a focus and topic of conversation. Pray that they would hear and experience the relevance of the Gospel of Christ!

No word on our visa situation...please continue to pray that all 8 of us would be approved to stay in Austria for the duration of our Global Internship! There are places outside of the EU that we can go (the Operation Mobilization team has many contacts), but I do believe God has called us to Vienna will keep us here!

*love

1 comment:

Lindy said...

I like reading what you write, even though I'm with you and experiencing it : )