Monday, March 2, 2009

Comfort from God's love

Today, I experienced the faithfulness of God.

I woke up in a familiar state of anxiety. My mind was yet again un-rested, for it was made for a day's journey and a night's rest, however dark and light has become one running track of which my brain is on a marathon.

I woke up weary.

I woke up discouraged.

This weekend, through times of prayer and conversations with my teammates, I caught a hold of more vision for this time in Austria, however following the inspiration I was greeted with more opposition and more oppression.

In previous missions experiences overseas I had experienced changes in the spiritual climate, but I have never been more aware of that phenomenon than I am now, after an elongated six weeks in a country filled with unbelief and apathy.

"God, you have to help me today! I need rest! I need help! I don't know how to stay engaged, aware, awake in this sleepy, confusing and subtly but surely oppressive country."

I got up with nothing to offer but a weary body and soul and I made my way to German class, discouraged.

We had a substitute teacher today, and as I sat down and settled into the beginning moments of class I remember distinctly feeling refreshed. That's strange. Usually I feel strained here. Today feels different. What is it?

My quest to figure it out was overlapped by straining to comprehend the "Dativ' form of the German language. Then break time came, and I asked the substitute if he liked teaching. He said kind of...

"...but I really love teaching the Bible."

Ha! I almost cried! That's what it was! It's incredible how the presence of Jesus in one man can change the whole spiritual atmosphere. Even though he was only teaching German, the life of Jesus was flowing from him. Ahhh, so refreshing. That was just the encouragement I needed.

The substitute's name is Ares and he and his wife are youth ministers in Wien! He invited us to his church and to lunch at his house this Sunday. Praise God for His divine direction- only He could've done that!


2 comments:

Ames said...

COOL!! Ever since I heard about Charles Finney and the way his presence (the HS inside of him) changed atmospheres of the places he went and made people fall on their faces in repentance, I have prayed that the HS would live in me as strongly as that man! Great to read your emails and blog, I'm praying for you and LOVE YOU so much.

chellejenee said...

yay Jesus!!! know that i am praying for you kenzie!! i miss your beautiful smiles and hugs but am so excited that Austria can now experience Jesus in you!