Sunday, March 8, 2009

An African Encounter

So today Jeff and I set out to visit a new church in Vienna. While on the train, an African woman with her two boys sat next to us. We said hello and she was very friendly so we chatted for a while. We asked where she was going and she said, "to church!" She invited us to join her when she found out we were Christians as well. Jeff and I looked at each other, why not? It was cool, because I had just prayed that God would guide our steps and connect us with the people He wanted us to be connected with, so I was expectant for Him to lead us today, although I hadn't thought His leading would be so soon!

We told her we'd like to join them so we did! A few stops and a five minute walk later, we found ourselves to be the only two white people at the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Chapel of His Glory Parish, Vienna. :) I really enjoyed those three hours that were spent there! It reminded me of the two months I spent in Africa and in Haiti combined. After being surrounded by a reserved, quiet, Caucasian European culture, it was very unique to be immersed in an African culture! It was refreshing! I enjoyed singing loudly and dancing a little- their bold and vibrant expression of worship and confession of truth was invigorating to join.

They were incredibly friendly and welcoming- had us stand up during the service and over 20 people got up from their seats to welcome us and greet us, then at the end of the service the pastor had us come up to the front and he prayed for us. And what made the service extra wonderful was watching all of those beautiful babies with their mammas! One little guy was dressed to the hilt in a big white suit, toddling down the aisle and dancing. I think I'll always have a special place in my heart for African babies. :)

I'd appreciate you're continued prayers that I would have eyes to see, ears to hear and a heart to understand so that I can walk in the good works and the ways God has prepared in advance for me! I'd also appreciate your prayers for the peace of Christ to rule in my heart- I've really been wrestling with anxiety about how to spend the time I have and in who I am. It's interesting how so much insecurity can come up when you go somewhere new! Please pray that God would deepen my security in Him.

Love to you all!!

No comments: