Thursday, March 19, 2009

The God who Changes

"Machen wir eine pause," exclaims my German teacher. Ahhh, break time! Today I was more tired then usual and was grateful for the 15 minutes to let my brain rest. Today most of us (there are 8 students total, all very international) just remained in our seats around our rounded rectangle table and listened to the bustling city of Vienna waft through the slightly opened window. Then...

"I've been wanting to ask you for a long time...why did you choose to study the Bible?" asked Anna with eyes full of deep curiosity. I was surprised by her question so clarified what she was asking. Sure enough, it was as direct and meant in just the way she asked it! I paused and smiled, deeply satisfied not only by her curiosity but also for the opportunity to be refreshed in rememberance of why I do study the Bible.

"I've experienced the God who wrote the Bible in a very personal way, so I want to know more about Him. The Bible shows and teaches me about the way the world was made, how I was made, and most wonderfully, who God is. It makes so much sense and is so right."

Anna took in my answer. Then, with even more intensity, she asked, "Did it change you?"

I smiled even bigger and found my eyes welling up, "Yes. Yes, very much- every day."

The tears came because today I woke up a broken and weary person, still struggling to walk daily in the freedom that Christ purchased for me, still endowed with my wayward humanity. Ah but the tears came because today God says His banner over me is love! In my weakness, He loves. In my brokennes, He has mercy.

And Anna His love and His mercy is for you too! Please pray for Anna- that God would make His light shine in her heart and reveal the image of the glory of God that is in the face of Christ! Please pray also for me- that God would lead me in how to love and be a friend to Anna.

1 comment:

liz conn said...

aaahhh, Kenzie! This was the early morning that I was driving back to Texas from Colorado....counting out the hours of time difference in my head, trying to imagine what you might be up to, and realizing that you were just getting ready for school. As I drove mile after mile, I prayed that God would make you alert, that He would infuse your heart and soul with Him and His goodness and love, and that you would overflow. The same God that prompted me to pray for you was already at work in Anna, and was pleased to have your willing heart open and ready to share! You're right....how simple is that?!?!! : ) I love you. Momma