Saturday, June 6, 2009

Cultural Anthropology

Yesterday we finished up a week of an intensive course of Cultural Anthropology. It was great! Professor Paul Strand, who travels the world training up nationals to create their own missionary schools, flew out from Bethany in MN to spend the week with us. We had 6 hours of class a day and a few hours of reflective and interactive homework a night. I feel like I see things from a whole new perspective after this week!

One lecture that really stood out to me was called Forms and Meanings. Paul shared stories from all over the world about the various ways that people acomplish things necessary for life. Every culture is vastly different from another, based off of the weather, resources available and values of the people. For instance, while we use electric heating to keep warm in the winter, some of the Chinese use saunas before they go to bed and basically cook themselves then crawl into blankets in their unheated apartments and keep warm all night!

What I realized from this is #1, we all grow up learning and assuming that our way is the best way, even the only way to do things. #2 This is not true! Just because its different doesn't mean its bad. Therefore, instead of making judgments about things I've never seen or experienced before, ask questions and really seek to understand why people do things the way they do, because there is a reason!

I feel like I've come away from this class with a much greater and deeper appreciation for people, individuals, differences and creativity.

I'm excited to practice the principles I learned in this class and I'm really thankful for the vision, inspiration and encouragement I received from this week. Mr. Strand is an incredibly wise man with a humble heart and loving countenance. He was such a blessing to our team!

1 comment:

Dianne said...

McKenzie,
I have just caught up on a few of your blogs. I have also seen some of your facebook entries. It sounds like things are going well. I never did hear about your Visa. Whatever happened with that. I assume that you were able to get them on your trip. Don't be timid about your German. In the past I have cared for Spanish speaking people in the hospital and would ask them if they spoke English, and they would say no or little, but, since I don't really speak Spanish, I had to continue to give to them instructions in English and it was amazing what they actually did understand. They just weren't confident. That may not be helpful, but... I continue to pray for you. Mrs. Martin